Thursday, September 25, 2008

UH-OH

In high school I loved to run. I ran track all throughout high school. I had participated in High Jump, Javelin, Hurdles, 4x4, and the 400 meter dash. I didn't like hurdles so I stopped running that after my freshman year, but I kept up the rest of the events. I made it to State every year in the high jump, javelin, and I believe the 4x4, or maybe the 4x4 alternated with my 400 meter dash. (you could only compete in 3 events during State track and technically only able to compete in 3 events during a regular track meet.....oops).



So I decided to start running again...I pick up a racer back, sports bra, shoes, etc. ,all the works. I am living at my in-laws at the moment, so my mom-in-law let me borrow her i-pod. I was all geared up and ready to go. My heart was racing and my stomach had butterflies, I was pumped! They have this nice private road that loops around a assisted living home and back down. It wasn't too far to run.



I ran out the door and down the street. I was doing great! Not even a hard breath yet! Wahoo! Check me out! The wind was in my hair, I had my stride working for me. I turn the corner onto another street and BAM! this is what I felt like....
















It wasn't this hard in high school was it?! I'm not even a quarter of a mile and I am dieing!

How pathetic.

Have I really gotten that fat and out of shape?! Jeese Louise! How in the world did I run a 4x4 or 400 meter dash is beyond me! How the heck did I stay that in shape!? How depressing!

Needless to say I may have made it a 1/2 a mile, running the most, walking some, spitting all over the place to get rid of my saliva building up in my mouth (that didn't happen in high school did it?) and almost puking a couple of times. Maybe I should just push myself hard so I can puke and finally get over it........... It seemed like I remember puking every year in track (or dry heaving) and then after that I was completely fine....hmmmm.....

Sorry kind of a gross subject, but is there anybody else reading this that has the same problem? It's so hard to condition yourself with out a team cheering you on.....

How do you keep yourself in shape?

I'm getting old!

5 comments:

Stefanie D. said...

Running...I think is the hardest type of physical activity to condition for. When I first started working out again, I thought that I would be able to be what I used to be, and the some. Then I would end up pushing myself too hard, and dying.It's really hard to have been an athlete in high school, because you have a lot higher expectations for yourself. I would just start a little at a time. For some reason...running outside seems like it is always a lot harder than running inside...maybe it's just me. Long comment...sorry! I don't know if you have a gold's gym pass or not, but they have a turbo-kick class that is super good. Lots of cardio and you tone your muscles in the process. Much fun.

Catie said...

Ooo...how much is your golds gym a month? What is a turbo kick class?

Quela said...

I hate running with a passion. I don't think I've ever liked it. And even playing sports in high school and college, I was never good at it. Short distances are fine. But you know us softball players, we only have to run around the bases and that's it. At least you were good at it at one point and liked it. The first time back doing anything is always a kick in the butt. I'm sure if you really get back into it, you'll be just fine.
I just started playing in a soccer league with a bunch of old folks, (ok, 30yr olds) to make me run. Running with a purpose like towards a ball is way easier for me. I don't think any of this banter will help you, so good luck anyway. Sorry such a long comment

Quela said...

Oh, and where's the pics of the new haircut??

Catie said...

The picture of the new haircut is coming...My camera is full right now of all of our water damage to our house still :) I need to download it onto a CD. But I promise, i will get it on soon.