Wednesday, September 10, 2008

You can call me Mrs. Paranoid

I am officially paranoid now, and I will tell you why even if you are not even remotely curious. Too bad.

Yesterday I am praying is a once in a lifetime event. *cross my fingers*
Early in the morning yesterday, I woke up to water coming down. I looked out my window and did not see any rain, and I heard a faint beeping noise coming from outside. I was curious, and so I got up, and truged through my bedroom to go and look out my front door, needless to say I got a surprise of my life!

I stepped into the hallway and automatically sunk into a inch and a half of water.
Crap.
Automatically I thought to our swamp cooler that is in our house, so I quickly move to my kitchen and turn on the light, and my swamp cooler was still in tact and I thought, where the heck!

Then I looked around. It was my worst nightmare. "CHRIS GET UP!!!!!!"
Chris came tumbling out of bed and asked what's wrong. "OUR HOUSE IS FLOODED!!!"
It's a good thing we don't swear, because if we did, I'm sure we would be saying every word in the book.
"What the heck happened?!"
"I don't know!"
Chris ran downstairs to find the main valve to the house so we could turn the water off. I stood in amazement looking at my poor kitchen, hallway, dining room, and half of my living room.

I moved into my kitchen more and found water spilling out of the dishwasher. (you stupid machine! You ruined my home!)
Chris came flying up the stairs. "I can't find the dang main water valve! How do I turn the water off?!" I just gape at him, my mouth half hanging open. How stupid we are to buy a house and not know where the main water valve is! Now we are in BIG trouble.

"The basement! It's in the basement, remember! under the paneling!"
"What paneling? Where?" Chris replied.
I ran downstairs, and was smacked in the face with water coming out of the ceiling and running down the walls.

Ah suck.

I trudged through the water soaked carpet to a conrner and yanked off the piece of wood paneling that lines our walls and found the main water valve. Quickly I turned the handle and Chris and I listned intently. At first, it sounded like the water got worse, but we waited for a moment and noticed that the water coming through our ceiling has slowed down. Not enough, but just enough for us to notice. We sighed.

Now I can't really remember what happened in the next few minutes, because my mind was whirling at the fact that my wonderful house was all under water. I almost had a nervous break down, almost. I just wandered through the basement, looking at all our posessions and the water destroying it all.

You never knew how powerful water could be.

I scrambled back upstairs because compared to downstairs, upstairs was a whole heck of a lot better looking.
"Here, take this outside!"
Chris handed me a 50 pound bag of salt and I raced it outside and put it down on our front porch. I remembered my hallway was flooded and I had just purchased a runner for it. I scrambled to the hallway, rolled up my rug and ran that outside also. Water seeped through it like a habit. I dropped it on the porch and it landed with a thunk and splashed water all over. I ran back inside and picked up my kitchen rugs, ran them outside and I found chris pulling towels out of our linen closet and lying them on the floor.

Time for backup.

I raced for my husbands cell phone an called the in laws. They said they were on their way over and hung up the phone. I took the towels that are now drenched and take them outside to wring (SP?) out.

Chris ran to walmart to buy a shop-vac to start sucking up some water. I tooke a bucket and my mop and tried to sponge up as much water as I could with my little dinky mop.

Stupid mop, suck up faster!

My in-laws arrived (I love you guys!) and started helping in the clean up. They set up their shop-vac and started sucking up water.

My poor furniture. My poor wood floors. My poor house.

Needless to say, we cleaned up the water from upstairs and started to work on the downstairs.

Oh Boy.

We might as well have gone fishing in our own house. If only we had the fish.

Needless to say, we cleaned up the water to the best of our abilities, until the insurance company opened. They sent out a restoration crew, and basically my whole house has to be gutted out and remodeled.

My poor wood floors! We worked so hard on them when we bought the house to re finish them! and now they are ruined! Jeese. My poor table, I just bought last week will probably have water damage to the legs and the chairs, my tables downstairs arent so hot either. I'm not sure if my TV still works, or our surround sound system. I guess we will find out when all the re-construction is finished.

On the bright side, now we can re-model the house the way we want it! :)

But I can assure you, I will never EVER leave the house on vacation and not turn the main water valve off. I have learned a valuable lesson. Also, I will never leave the house when my dishwasher or washer is running. (p.s. my dishwasher was finished when I went to bed last night, stupid, retarded, idiotic machine!)

Please, be careful with your machines and do not leave them running when you are gone. Please turn off your main water in your house when you leave for vacation. You never know when a trial arises.

2 comments:

Meili said...

Yikes! That's horrible!!! What a big, fat mess. I'm so sorry.

Catie said...

Eh, Its okay. We will get through it. :) Just one step at a time.